2008年12月2日 星期二

How do I proof yeast to test for activity

This Thanksgiving, I learned that yeast should be kept in the fridge, but...my yeast has been out for 2 months, is it still alive? I don't want to risk the flour and other ingredients to get my result, so I searched online to find a way to see if my yeast is still alive, and I found the following:

http://www.breadworld.com/FAQ.aspx
How do I proof yeast to test for activity? To proof yeast, add 1 teaspoon sugar to 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F). Stir in 1 envelope yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons); let stand 10 minutes. If the yeast foams to the 1/2 cup mark, it is active and you may use it in your recipe. RapidRise™ yeast loses its fast rising capabilities if dissolved in liquid, and will require two complete rises.


The result is.....My yeast is dead!!!!! I need to get another bottle of yeast in order to make the bread tomorrow.

3 則留言:

匿名 提到...

我也是前一陣子才注意到yeast的罐子上有寫'打開後要把yeast放在冰箱裏',然後才開始放在冰箱的。不過之前用室溫的yeast發饅頭,也沒問題啊,真搞不懂。

Pko2003 提到...

恩,之前剛老公剛開始做糕點時看食譜才發現yeast要放冰箱,還有期限,好像開封之後六個月。還有flaxseed跟堅果類也要放凍箱或冷藏,因為容易氧化。

Sophia 提到...

我保存的方法就是放冰箱然後蓋緊瓶蓋.